Saturday, June 12, 2021

May Books

may. it came. it went. now it's June. and I've realized how busy my life is and how good. I have time to read a lot. and write about it. even if I'm late. but here goes. these are some things I liked reading in may of 2021. 


Liver Mush by Graham Irvin

I had a great time talking to Graham Irvin for my show. his first book, Liver Mush is coming out later this year. I loved it. I can't wait to buy a copy and read it again, underline things, laugh and be sad (it made me do both). 

graham's short stories are available online. please give these a read in the meantime. I talked with him about 3 of them for the podcast.

his work reminds me of when I was younger and would drive across the country with my family once a year, from New Mexico to Michigan. seeing America along the way. we would stop in these places I had no family or friends. small towns, cities no one visits. and I would look out the window at the places where people lived entire lives that had nothing to do with me. buildings where they worked, lived, watched sports on tv. reading Liver Mush made me feel like I was going past the window, seeing up close some of those places. meeting people I thought about.

find Graham's stories here

and keep an eye out for the book here

No Good For Digging: Stories by Dustin M. Hoffman



I discovered Dustin's writing through one of my favorite writers, Anne Valente, whose blurb appears on the book itself:

At once humorous, poetic, poignant and wistful, and an ardent letter to the Midwest."

 that really describes so well what I love about this book. the characters in these stories are not characters that people read about often in fiction. but they're all around us. they help everything keep going. if you drive past an electric plant or factory, they're there, unnamed, living quiet lives that are no less extraordinary. 

buy the book here

No comments:

Post a Comment

june and july books

I didn't read as much over the last 2 months as I would've liked.  I started my mfa program. It consisted of a week of residency don...